Friday, March 13, 2020

Unicorn Sprinkle Cookies


I keep planning to make a certain bar cookie, but each week when it is time to bake, they just don’t seem right. I’ll make them eventually. Since I was bringing cookies to work on Thursday and I had a little less time, I wanted to make a drop cookie. The other day at the grocery store I picked up unicorn baking chips, which are basically pink and purple swirled chocolate chips. For something special like that, I will often look to the package for guidance. Instead, I looked online and this was the recipe that looked the best.

One of the things that intrigued me about this recipe is that they are gluten free. A friend at work can’t eat gluten, and she works Thursday, so I decided to try these. The only gluten free baking that I have done are with cookies that naturally do not contain flour. These do, and thankfully I had purchased some gluten free flour mixture recently, as I knew that I wanted to do some gluten free baking. I wasn’t sure how the cookies would do, as this was my first experience with gluten free baking.

These cookies call for sprinkles, and I looked through my large supply of sprinkles. Most were Christmasy, so I ended up using a rainbow sugar. I also accidentally added too much sugar, so these cookies are sweet. They also taste very buttery, even though they don’t contain all that much butter. These cookies did spread and refrigerating the dough after shaping the dough helped a little. They do taste good, so I am very pleased with my first venture into baking with gluten free flour.

Unicorn Sprinkle Cookies
1 ½ cups gluten-free flour mixture
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
½ cup butter, room temperature
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups unicorn chocolate chips
1/4 cup colorful sprinkles

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mixture, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and stir until incorporated. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture and when almost combined, add the chocolate chips and sprinkles. (You many want to save some chips to top the cookies.)

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. If you reserved extra chips for the topping, press the chips into the top of the unbaked cookies. Refrigerate the cookie sheets for 15 minutes before baking. 

Bake for 12-13 minutes, until lightly browned along the edges. The cookies will look soft but will set as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Recipe from Wheat by the Wayside


No comments: