Friday, May 8, 2020

Double Ginger Oat Cookies


The good news this week is that I got some flour! My friend from work offered her bag of flour, but my husband had gone online and found a local flour co-op that had all-purpose flour. I’m so excited to try this new flour, as it is non-GMO and sustainably grown. I have two 5-pound bags, which should last me for a while. I’ve been offered 25 pounds, but I don’t know that I could get through that much flour!

I have planned several British recipes to make, and they don’t often use a lot of flour or make a big batch. This recipe comes from Cornwall, which is a place I hope to visit someday. This recipe, like many British recipes, uses self-rising flour. I make my own and typically have that on hand. Golden Syrup is a basic that I always have, too. The one think that I changed was the last ingredient. The original recipe called for stem ginger in syrup. I had some on hand, but it didn’t look great, so I substituted candied ginger.

The method for these cookies is unusual, as you make them in a saucepan and then add the oats and flour once the mixture is removed from the heat. You bake them while still warm, and I was worried they would spread. I baked at the original temperature, 375 degrees, and that is too warm. My cookies didn’t flatten but got slightly burned around the edges. I think I lower temperature would help. While these aren’t the best-looking cookies that I have ever made, they have a wonderful ginger flavor. They are a bit crunchier than I had planned, but they are still very good.

Double Ginger Oat Cookies
120 grams butter
85 grams brown sugar
2 tablespoons Golden Syrup
120 grams old fashioned oats
120 grams self-rising flour*
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, brown sugar, and Golden Syrup, stirring frequently. Once the mixture comes together, remove from the heat. Stir in the oats, flour, baking soda, ginger, and candied ginger. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Shape by teaspoonfuls on the prepared baking sheet, while the dough is still warm.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until browned along the edges. Allow the cookies to set before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

*I make my own self-rising flour by combining 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt

Recipe from Jam and Clotted Cream

No comments: