Friday, May 22, 2020

Peanut Butter Crispy Cookies


What to bake this week? I mentioned that I had selected a number of recipes that used a small amount of flour, so I have a couple of recipes that are basically ready to go. We do grocery delivery now, so I feel like I have to plan even further ahead. For this week’s order, I bought an ingredient that I plan to use for next week’s recipe. I looked at the recipes that I had the ingredients on hand. That left it to two recipes, and as I didn’t want to fuss with a recipe that might not turn out, I chose these cookies.

I have made many peanut butter cookies. I also have Crispy Rice cereal on hand, and I don’t really like to eat it as cereal. This recipe combines the two items: peanut butter cookies with Crispy Rice cereal mixed in. I looked at the blog recipe I used and then looked at what recipe that blogger used, and the only difference was whether you chill the dough or not. It’s not uncommon to refrigerate peanut butter cookie dough, and it is supposed to make the cookie puffy, so I did refrigerate the dough.

I was short on time and didn’t get these cookies started very early, but they took only a couple of minutes to make the dough, and I eat dinner and did some other tasks while the dough refrigerated. I shaped the cookies and my only question was whether I should flatten the cookies or not. For the first dozen, I flattened half the batch and left the other half as is. When they came out of the oven, the flattened cookies looked better, but once they cooled it didn’t make any difference. These are smooth like a peanut butter cookies, but with an added crunch!

Peanut Butter Crispy Cookies
½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups Crispy Rice cereal

In a large mixer bowl, mix the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until the mixture is smooth. Add the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla and mix again on medium to combine. Stop the mixer; add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix on low until almost combined. Add the Crispy Rice cereal and stir on low until the dough comes together.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes, until slightly browned along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Boys Ahoy

No comments: