Friday, August 21, 2020

Cherry and Pecan Oaties


This week, I found a British recipe that was quite a bit different. We subscribe to a couple of British magazines and I find recipes and take photos on my iPad so I can keep track of them. I had found this recipe quite a while ago, and now it was finally the time to make them. When I read through the recipe, at first, I hadn’t realized that these were refrigerator cookies. I just looked at the yield and it said that it only made about a dozen cookies. I was appreciative that they were very easy to make since they are a refrigerator cookie.

The original recipe called for dried blueberries, and I find those to be gritty, but I figured that there would be any number of dried fruits that I could use. In the end, I used dried cherries, and they were wonderful. I think that the cherries had a good sweetness and made these cookies beautifully sweet. The original recipe called for porridge oats, which I am sure are different from the old-fashioned oats that I used, but there was no problem.

As a refrigerator cookie, these don’t really look anything like a traditional refrigerator cookie. You do want them to be very cold when you cut them, or they are too crumbly. I worried that the pecans and cherries would be difficult to cut, but there was no issue at all. I made about 18 cookies from this recipe, but that will vary depending on how you shape the dough. They are wonderfully sweet, and the cinnamon provides such a great flavor. These are a fabulous oat cookie, and the fruit adds so much!

Cherry and Pecan Oaties

175 grams flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
85 grams oats
175 grams sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
140 grams butter, cut in pieces
70 grams dried cherries, chopped
50 grams pecans, chopped
1 egg, beaten

In a large mixer bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, oats, sugar, and cinnamon. Pulse the mixture to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture until crumbly and almost sticks together. Add the chopped cherries, pecans, and beaten egg. Pulse until the mixture comes together.

Remove from the food processor, and shape into a log, about 4 inches wide and about 10 inches long. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap. Slice the cookies into 1/3” slices and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, until set and lightly browned along the edges. Cool completely before serving.

Recipe from BBC Easy Cook

 

No comments: