Friday, September 11, 2020

Kit Kat Crackle Cookies

 

Now that we are heading into fall, I am happy that I can start looking at recipes that have oats and spice and apple and all of those great flavors of fall. These cookies aren’t particularly full of fall flavors, but they aren’t really summery, either. I’ve seen many recipes where the cookies are rolled in powdered sugar and they are immediately labelled as holiday cookies. I think that’s taking it a step too far, but these cookies are certainly turning the corner.

 

I’ve had the ingredients on hand for these cookies for a while, but I haven’t been sure when was the right time to make them. I wasn’t sure how many cookies it would make, and I worried that it would make more cookies than I would want at home, but in the end, it wasn’t bad at all. This recipe made 2 dozen cookies, although I did make them slightly larger than typical.

 

Since these cookies use a cake mix, they contain very few ingredients and come together quickly. I always melt butter in the microwave, and even though I cover the dish, more often than not the butter explodes all over the place. That was true for this recipe, and I really doubt that I used 6 tablespoons of butter, but it made no difference. The first batch I didn’t flatten, and I believe that they bake better when slightly flattened. Since I wasn’t sure how long to bake these, I had to guess, and they are on the chewy side. (The blog with the recipe was generally difficult overall.) These are a wonderful soft cookie with the added crunch of Kit Kats.

 

Kit Kat Crackle Cookies

1 box white cake mix

2 eggs

6 tablespoons butter, melted

4 Kit Kat bars, chopped

Powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheet with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, and melted butter on medium to combine. When the mixture almost comes together, add the chopped Kit Kats and stir on low until the dough comes together.

Shape the dough into balls and roll the balls in the powdered sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookies slightly with the palm of your hand.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set and golden. The center of the cookies may still be soft. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Oh Bite It!

No comments: