Friday, November 20, 2020

Spiced Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies

Spiced Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies

My husband often reminds me that I don’t make chocolate chip cookies enough. They are his favorite and all the other cookies that I make are just not sufficient. I figure that chocolate chip cookies aren’t the most exciting thing in the world to post on the blog, so unless the recipe has some significant variation, I don’t often post chocolate chip cookies.

Recently, I have gotten a couple of different ingredients that I want to use for recipes. One is sorghum honey, which we picked up from the local honey vendor. I had never seen sorghum honey before, and it looks a lot like molasses. The vendor said that it could be used as such, so I thought that would be good to test it in a recipe calling for molasses. My husband sent me a couple of links for recipes, including this one, that uses molasses. And it’s also a chocolate chip cookie, so bonus for my husband!

This recipe has a lot of similarities to a traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe, but there’s no brown sugar, and it has the additional spices and molasses. I didn’t use salt when I made these, and they certainly need it, so I added salt to the ingredients listed here. You don’t have to press additional chocolate chips into the cookies, but they honestly look better if you do. The molasses/sorghum honey is quite subtle, and I think I would add a larger quantity of the spices. Who doesn’t love cinnamon and ginger? I sure do.

Spiced Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses (or sorghum honey)
2-1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
Additional sugar
Additional chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until light. Add the egg and molasses and stir to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Just before the dough comes together completely, add the dark chocolate chips, and stir on low to incorporate.

Shape the dough into tablespoon-sized balls and roll in additional sugar. If desired, top each cookie with additional chocolate chips. Place the cookies on a plate and place in the freezer for about 8 minutes.

Place the semi-frozen cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes. The cookies will look slightly under baked but will firm us as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from The View from Great Island

No comments: