Friday, March 19, 2021

Simple Jammy Biscuits

Jammy Biscuits: thumbprint cookie filled with red jam to celebrate Red Nose Day

We sure have had all sorts of weather here in the Pacific Northwest: rain, snow, some sun, even hail! I think everything keeps adding up: the weather, staying home, not seeing people, etc. I went to a meeting and there was an interesting conversation about what our work would look like after the pandemic, and that’s an interesting question. Some of my work involves people directly, but some of it doesn’t. One thing is for sure: I can’t wait to bake for people again!

There are lots of recipes out there that make small batches, and I have found that British cookbooks/recipes are a good source as most folks in the UK have a smaller oven, which leads to smaller batches. This recipe was in one of the British food magazines that we get, and it was beautifully simply. The cookie is for Red Nose Day, which is in today March 19! Red Nose Day is a fundraiser, primarily in the UK, uses the power of laughter as they base of their fundraising. For information, you can visit https://comicrelief.com.

For these cookies, and jam would work, but I used some tasty huckleberry jam that I got for Christmas. I made the dough in the food processor and it was too crumbly to form into a log, so I mixed in an additional egg yolk, shaped the dough, and then refrigerated it for a bit. The dough is a touch stickier, but it worked. I cut just 12 cookies, and they were quite thick! They spread a lot so next time I will not make them so thick. Like many British recipes, these cookies aren’t too sweet, but the jam adds that extra touch of sweet. They are on the big side, but very tasty none the less!

Simple Jammy Biscuits
200 grams self-rising flour*
100 grams sugar
100 grams butter
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons jam

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and butter until the mixture is crumbly. Add the egg and pulse until a stiff dough comes together. Shape the dough into a log, about 2 inches in diameter. Cut into ½ inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Make a small indentation in the top of each cookie and fill with about a teaspoon of jam. 

Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

*I make my own self-rising flour by combining 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt

Recipe from BBC Easy Cook



No comments: