Friday, July 23, 2021

Chocolate Orange Brownie Cookies

Chocolate Orange Brownie Cookies

My social life has been absolutely nothing for over a year, but many folks are now vaccinated, and we are all super eager to go out and do something! I’d love to travel, but the time isn’t yet right for that. Recently, after doing little on the weekend, I had a weekend with two events. How exciting! Of course, I wanted to make cookies to share, but what recipe? I decided on these decadent chocolate orange cookies.

Since I was taking these cookies elsewhere, I decided to make a complete batch. This recipe is smaller anyway, so that was good. The original recipe used a 1/4scoop for the cookies, so those cookies must have been huge! I used my larger cookie scoop, which is about 1-1/2 tablespoons, and that made two dozen cookies. That was perfect, although I didn’t have extra chopped chocolate to top the last 5 cookies.

The recipe specifies that you heat the oven to 325 degrees but reduce the temperature when you bake the cookies. I did that for the first batch, but then I didn’t, and I don’t think it made any difference. Do that if you want, but I don’t feel that it is necessary. These cookies are quite soft, and they should not be overbaked. I think they look better with extra chocolate on top, but that doesn’t alter the wonderful taste of the cookies. I used Lindt Intense Orange chocolate bar, but there are other varieties out there. My husband thought of using those chocolate oranges you get at Christmas, but those aren’t currently available. Whichever type of orange chocolate you use, these are decadent cookies with a wonderful orange twist!

Chocolate Orange Brownie Cookies
1 cup plus 2-1/2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
7 ounces orange chocolate, chopped

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small microwaveable bowl, combine the semi-sweet chocolate and butter. Microwave, stirring ever 30 seconds, until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a large mixer bowl. Add the vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, and orange zest and mix on medium to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the milk.

With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the chopped orange chocolate with a spatula. If desired, reserve some of the chopped chocolate to top the baked cookies.

Scoop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets, using a large cookie scoop. Do not place too many cookies on the baking sheet.

Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake the cookies for about 14 minutes. The cookies will be soft, but they will look set. Once the cookies have been removed from the open, top with a few reserved pieces of chocolate. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet.

Recipe from Baker by Nature

No comments: