Friday, July 30, 2021

Pineapple Coconut Tassies

Pineapple Coconut Tassies

Tassies are one of my favorites to make. These little cookie cups can have almost any type of filling, and I have enjoyed finding new and different recipes to try. Most people are familiar with pecan tassies, which are little pecan pies, but this type of cookie can hold just about anything and work for any number of occasions. I like that you bake them all at once, so when the weather is warm you don’t have to work with the oven for too long.

This recipe felt perfect for summer with the combination of pineapple and coconut. The pineapple comes in the form of pineapple ice cream topping. I saw this at the store, when I was checking for something else, but didn’t end up buying it. I then discovered that it wasn’t an item found at the normal places that I shop! I made a trip back to that first grocery store and picked it up since they had a lot. I’m not really sure why it is common some places and non-existent at other spots.

When I went to make these, I realized that the only nuts that I had on hand were pecans, which didn’t seem to fit this recipe. I figured I would be ok with macadamias or almonds, both of which I usually have on hand. Since I didn’t have them, I made these cookies without nuts, and they turned out fine. The only challenge with these cookies is to press the dough into the mini muffin pans, and that’s just a tedious task that isn’t too bad if you just get to it. These cookies are great, with little bits of pineapple coming through from the filling. They are a little crumbly, but that makes them extra tasty!

Pineapple Coconut Tassies

1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt

1-1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup pineapple ice cream topping
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1 egg
2 teaspoons cornstarch
    
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (or vanilla)

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick spray. You will need about 36 mini muffin cups.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and powdered sugar on medium until light, several minutes. Add the vanilla and mix to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Shape the dough into balls and press evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the prepared mini muffin cups.

Bake the filling: in a medium bowl, mix the coconut, pineapple ice cream topping, sugar, nuts, egg, and cornstarch. Fill each cup with about a tablespoon of filling.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Allow the cookies to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and extract. Drizzle over the cooled cookies. Allow the glaze to set before serving.

Recipe from Connie Shuff via Taste of Home

No comments: