Friday, February 25, 2022

Cherry Pie Cookies

Cherry Pie Cookies- Photo of three cookie cups filled with cherry pie filling

It seems like I would be missing something if I didn’t make some sort of cookie cup for this month of cherry recipes! I have had this recipe saved for a long time, and I’m not sure why it has taken so long for me to make them. These cookies are very simple, and none of the ingredients are unusual. I happened to have sour cream in the refrigerator already, so all I picked up was the cherry pie filling. Sure, I love making cherry pie from scratch, but let’s be honest: I’m not going to pit that many cherries.

Cookie cups vary a bit in how they are made. Some recipes make a small amount of dough that you have to shape around the mini muffin pans. I like these cookies, but it can get tedious. This recipe has you place the dough in the pan, bake, and then make an indentation. This method doesn’t make a huge area for filling, but it is very easy. In retrospect, I believe that I could have used slightly less dough per cookie, but I still had no problem.

The only change that I did for this recipe was the glaze. The original recipe called for a white chocolate glaze, but I didn’t feel like doing that. White chocolate can be very fussy. I ended up making a simple powdered sugar glaze, which looked perfect but the glaze melts into the cookies, so it is less obvious. That’s not really much of a concern, in all honesty. I like the soft cookie combined with the sweetness of the cherry. My husband thinks they would be even better with a layer of cream cheese filling, and I’ll have to try that!

Cherry Pie Cookies
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅓ cup sour cream
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 can cherry pie filling

¾ cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan (24 mini muffins) with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until light. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium again to combine. Combine the sour cream, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add the flour and the sour cream mixture and mix on low until the dough comes together.

Divide the dough between the 24 mini muffin cups, using about 2 tablespoons dough per cookie. There’s no need to shape the dough in the pan.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden. Immediately after removing from the oven, make an indentation in each cookie with a teaspoon, tart tamper, or similar device. Allow the cookies to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once cool, use a fork to fill each cookie with cherry pie filling, using about 3 cherries per cookie. Finally, make the glaze: in a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled and filled cookies.

Recipe from Butter with a Side of Bread

No comments: