Friday, March 4, 2022

Cinnamon Spice Cookies

Cinnamon Spice Cookies

I have SO MANY recipes marked as things that I would like to make, and I have to admit to myself that I will likely never make everything, but that’s ok. When I am looking for a specific type of recipe, I often find a couple of recipes that fit the bill, but then I only make one of the similar recipes. I suppose that eventually I should sort through all of my recipes, but that day hasn’t come yet. At least I do keep track of the recipes that I have made!

This week, I was looking for a nice homey cookie. I know that for many folks that means that looking at fall recipes, and I don’t disagree, but I will make a fall-style cookie any time of year. This one is somewhat like a snickerdoodle, in that they are rolled in cinnamon sugar, but the flavors are different, with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. I also used vegan butter to make these dairy free, but traditional butter would work as well.

This dough looks like it has a lot of ingredients, but they are pantry staples, so I didn’t need to pick up anything at the store. The dough is very soft, and it would be impossible to bake these up before you chilled the dough. I checked the dough after two hours in the refrigerator, and while it was still soft I thought I would give it a try. The cookies baked up with no issue, although they are quite flat. When they cool they are a nice, soft, and crinkly cookie.

Cinnamon Spice Cookies
1 teaspoon instant espresso
1 tablespoon hot water
½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup shortening
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ¼ cups flour
Cinnamon sugar, for decoration

In a small bowl, mix the instant espresso powder and hot water and stir until dissolved; set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and shortening on medium until smooth. Add the sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and mix again on medium to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the espresso mixture and the vanilla. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, stirring until the flour is incorporated.
The dough will be soft. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls and roll each dough ball in the cinnamon sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Dear Crissy

No comments: