Friday, April 15, 2022

Chocolate Hazelnut Wafers

Chocolate Slice and Bake Cookies with Chopped Cinnamon Hazelnuts, Pictured on a white plate

I had planned to make a cookie with the spring flavors of lemon, but when I got home and it was time to bake, I didn’t feel it. Our weather here this week has been very cold, rainy, and we have even had snow and hail. I know that spring is known for crazy weather, but it sure has been extreme. In the end I went with these chocolate slice and bake cookies.

The original recipe called for sliced almonds, but I am out of those right now. I looked through my cupboard to see what I could use and identified pistachios or hazelnuts. I used the hazelnuts that I had, which were cinnamon hazelnuts. You could likely use any nuts that you have, and I know I always have pecans. I did have ground almonds for the outer coating, but I honestly almost forgot to use it. I’m sure the cookies would have still been good!

As I was taking these to work, I used vegan butter and gluten free flour. When shaping the dough into logs, it was so soft. I hoped that it would firm up, but after two hours it was still quite pliable. I was curious as to whether it would firm up more with longer refrigeration, or if the softness was because of the ingredients I used. I didn’t have the time to refrigerate longer, so after I cut the cookies, I reshaped them into rounds. I think the cinnamon hazelnuts added a lot to these cookies, and I love the slightly bitter taste that the cocoa brings to these cookies. Perhaps as “wafers” they could have been cut thinner, but I like them just the way they are.

Chocolate Hazelnut Wafers
3/4 cup butter or vegan butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/4 cups flour or gluten-free flour
2/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup chopped cinnamon hazelnuts
Ground almonds

In a large mixer bowl, add the butter and sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the egg and vanilla and mix again on medium to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. While the mixer is running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts.

Divide the dough into halves and shape each half into a log about -1/2” in diameter. Roll the dough in ground almonds and then wrap the dough logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours.

Heat the oven to 375. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Unwrap the cookie dough and slice into cookies, each about 1/3” thick. Reshape the cookies into a round shape, if necessary, and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Phyl Broich-Wessling via Taste of Home

No comments: