Friday, April 22, 2022

Ginger Layer Shortbread

Shortbread cookie with a ginger filling, pictured on an orange plate

I occasionally browse British and similar ex-pat blogs for recipes that are just a little different. I usually can find new and interesting recipe, and oftentimes I have the ingredients I need on hand, something similar, or ask for an ingredient that I can buy at the local British shop. This recipe falls into that category and was one of the easiest recipes that I have ever made.

While the originator of this recipe is Irish, although they now live in the states. Typically, seeing the word “traybake” tells me that the person comes from the British Isles or perhaps Australia, and that is the name of their blog. I suppose in Australia it is more common to see “slices” but traybake is not a term used here in the states. The recipe measurements are in grams, which I think makes everything easier. The original recipe called for ginger marmalade, which they have at the British store, but I already had ginger curd on hand, so I used that.

The strangest thing about this recipe is that it called for a 7” square pan, which isn’t a size I have. I do have an 8” square pan, but that’s a third more volume than the original pan would be. The easiest solution was to simply make 1.3 times the recipe and use my 8” pan. That leads to some strange quantities, but in grams it matters little. Even with the slightly larger pan, this recipe makes a petite quantity, about 15 cookies. These bars are the perfect shortbread, not too sweet, with the ginger providing an extra element of flavor. Yes, they are slightly crumbly, but worth the crumbles.

Ginger Layer Shortbread
290 grams flour
¼ teaspoon salt    
143 grams butter, cut into pieces
110 grams sugar
About ½ cup ginger curd/marmalade

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8” square pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, mix the flour and salt. Add the sugar and butter and mix until the dough is crumbly. Divide the dough into two halves, and press half of the dough into the prepared pan. Dot the bottom crust with ginger curd/marmalade and spread as evenly as possible. Crumble the remaining dough on top of the ginger filling and press down slightly.

Bake for 40-45 minutes. The bars will be slightly golden but do not brown significantly.

Remove the bars from the pan and cut into squares.

Recipe from Traybakes & More

No comments: