Friday, June 9, 2023

Glazed Lemon Ginger Cookies

Two lemon ginger cookies topped with lemon glaze, photographed on a white plate with blue circles around the edge

Anything with lemon is typically popular on this blog. The same can be said for items with ginger. I was thrilled when I found a lemon and ginger cookie. I had picked up a lemon because I knew I wanted to make these soon. All of the other ingredients are items I have on hand, but I will need to get some candied ginger soon, as my supply is running low.

I made up the dough, although chopping candied ginger is a sticky proposition! I can buy chopped candied ginger, but it is never quite right, so I chop it myself. As love as I love ginger, it isn’t something that you necessarily want to have a big bite, so chopping it myself helps. I made three dozen cookies with this recipe, and the cookies are on the smaller side, which is fine since I will be sharing them with my friends at work.

The original recipe has you dip the cookies into the glaze while the cookies are still warm. I contemplated drizzling the glaze, as that is a lot easier, but I went ahead and dipped the cookies. It wasn’t too difficult, and the cookies cooled for a couple of minutes, so they didn’t burn my fingers. I was slightly short on the amount of lemon juice for the glaze, so I added a teaspoon of milk to help the glaze get to the correct consistency. These cookies look and taste great. The lemon works well with the ginger, moderating the ginger so it is present but not too sharp.

Glazed Lemon Ginger Cookies

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely chopped candied ginger

2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the egg and beat on medium to incorporate. Add the vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold in the chopped candied ginger.

Shape the dough into tablespoon-sized mounds and flatten slightly.

Bake for 12-15 minutes until the cookies barely start to brown. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. It is important to glaze the cookies while they are still warm.

Make the glaze: while the cookies are baking, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Brush the glaze on the warm cookies. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired

Drop dough by TBS scoop onto prepared pans about 2" apart. Flatten slightly with fingers. Bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until bottoms just start to brown. Let sit on baking sheet for 1 minute before removing to wire rack.

While cookies are baking, make glaze by combining the powdered sugar and 1/3 cup lemon juice in small bowl. Dip cookies while they are still warm, into glaze and place on wire rack to cool and allow the glaze to set. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.

Recipe from Renee’s Kitchen Adventure

No comments: