Friday, June 2, 2023

Key Lime Pie Crinkles

Lime flavored crinkle cookies, coated in a powdered sugar and graham cracker crumb mixture. Pictured on a round golden plate

I’m trying to bake with spring and summer flavors, but I tend to edge towards chocolate, spice, apple, and those flavors. I already have some pear cinnamon preserves that I will use for something, but I am going to wait until fall to use that! I figured that lime was a good flavor for this time of year, and I like the idea of making a cookie with the flavors of pie.

Since this is a key lime cookie, I suppose that the intention was to use key lime juice, but key limes can be hard to find. I can buy key lime juice in a bottle, but that didn’t seem right. I got an organic lime at the store and hoped that would be fine. As I halved this recipe, one lime provided plenty of juice and zest. Limes very a lot in size, so look at the needed quantity and make your best guess.

I wasn’t sure if I would use the green food color, but I am glad I did as the cookies weren’t green at all! Even with the food color they didn’t photograph as very green, but they are a little brighter in person. I did more of a half and half for the powdered sugar and graham cracker topping, but the powdered sugar certainly sticks a lot better. These have a good lime flavor, but it isn’t too strong. I like these a lot!

Key Lime Pie Crinkles
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-5 drops green food color, if desired
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light. Scrape down the bowl and stir in the eggs, lime juice, lime zest, and vanilla, beating until combined. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. If desired, add green food color to enhance the green quality of the dough.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. This will help the cookies remain puffy when baked.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and roll generously in the powdered sugar mixture. Make sure the dough is well covered.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until the cookies are lightly golden. The cookies may seem under baked but will set as they cool. Cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Sweet Recipeas

No comments: