Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas Swirl Fudge

Pieces of red, green, and white swirled fudge, photographed on a red mitten-shaped plate

Merry Christmas! When I started making fudge, one of the recipes that I got a request for was Christmas swirl fudge. I had my dad’s binder of recipes and I found that recipe. I recall this fudge: it’s a white fudge with a red and green swirl. I looked online for the same recipe, and I was unable to find one that used the same ingredients. The recipe I was using called for 8 cups of white chocolate chips, which is a lot, and as I said previously, are difficult to work with.

I made that fudge, but I never was able to get the chips to melt completely. This is an issue that I have with white chips, and if they get too hot then it seizes into a giant lump. I kept going, even though my red and green was more pink and light green, and it had also seized for the most part. I thought it looked waxy/oily and wasn’t too happy.

I decided to try a different recipe, with fewer ingredients (3 cups of white chips) and it made a smaller batch. This one worked out much better, although it was still difficult to get the green mixture completely melted. I’m much more pleased with this recipe, but this fudge is quite thin. That’s ok, since at least this version turned out!

Christmas Swirl Fudge
3 cups white chocolate chips
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon red gel food coloring
1/2 teaspoon green gel food coloring
1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract

Line a 9” square pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

Place 1 cup of white chocolate chips in three separate bowls and add 6 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk to each bowl. In one bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon green food coloring. In another bowl add ½ teaspoon red food coloring.

Microwave each bowl (separately) for 30 seconds, then stir, and microwave for an additional 15-20 seconds if needed. Repeat with the additional bowls. Once the mixtures are smooth, stir ½ teaspoon peppermint extract into each bowl.

Drop the three mixtures randomly into the prepared pan. Once you’ve added all of the mixtures to the pan, swirl the mixture with a thin knife. Refrigerate the fudge until it sets, several hours.

Once the mixture is set, lift from the pan and cut into small squares.

Recipe from Like Mother, Like Daughter

No comments: