Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Plum Cobbler



Another plum creation…


I had a lot of extra plums, since the Dimply Plum Cake only used 2. My plums were on the ripe side so I really needed to use them up quickly. I did a quick search on the web and came across the Fresh Fruit Cobbler on allrecipes.com. It called for a mixture of fruits, but I figured that it would work with just plums.


I have to say that I’m more familiar with cobblers with biscuit-like topping. I’d call this more of a kuchen, where it bakes together into a cake, but whatever you call it, it was great. I took this to work the day after it was baked (ignoring the serve warm instructions) and it was very popular. I had the empty (and cleaned) baking dish back on my desk by about 3 o’clock. I guess everyone liked it!


This was the easiest think ever to make and it turned out so well. I had all of the ingredients on hand (even if you don’t have a really well-stocked kitchen) and took just minutes to put together.


4 cups sliced plums

1 egg

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup milk

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons butter, melted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish (I used a gratin pan).

Slice the plums and place in the bottom of the baking dish. In a mixer bowl, mix the egg, sugar, and milk until smooth. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to the egg mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the vanilla and melted butter. Pour the batter over the fruit.

Bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned. Serve warm. (Or serve the next day, just heat up the pieces as you go.)

Adapted from allrecipes.com (Fresh Fruit Cobbler)

No comments: