Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sablés



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Barbara of Bungalow Barbara. She chose Sablés, which are a classic French butter cookie. Check out her blog for the complete recipe. Since this cookie lends itself so well to variation, check out how the other Tuesdays with Dorie bakers fared this week.

This is a very simple butter cookie that you form in a log, refrigerate and bake. They are the perfect cookie for this holiday season since they come together so fast. I wanted to make a variation since this cookie can be changed up so easily. I decided to do the spiced variation, adding ginger, cinnamon and cloves to the dough. I also had espresso-flavored sanding sugar that I wanted to use, so I ended up making espresso spiced sables.

I halved the dough, so there wasn’t a lot of dough for my mixer to work with, but it did ok. The dough comes together with no problem, and I then refrigerated the dough overnight. My espresso sugar didn’t really want to stick, but I was able to get some of it to stick. This was a bit messy though, and I am still cleaning up random sugar crystals off of my counter! I cut the cookies about 1/3” thick and I baked them the time the recipe specifies, but I think I should have taken mine out of the oven a minute or two earlier. They seem a bit too crispy, so next time I will check them a little earlier in the baking time.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, pages 131-133

5 comments:

Hindy said...

Did you brush the outside of the dough logs with egg yolk? Dorie suggested that and the sugar clung nicely. I love the idea of making espresso sables!

Susan said...

Mmmm, espresso sugar. That sounds great. Do you make it yourself or buy it somewhere? Your cookies look great!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Thank you for baking along with me this week!

I like the sound of that espresso sugar -- where did you get it?

Pamela said...

Espresso sugar! Very neat. I only baked mine for 12 minutes and I think that was just right for me.

Jules Someone said...

That sounds yummy! I needed to make mine thicker. Guess I'll have to try again...