Friday, December 25, 2009

White Chocolate Dipped Spice Cookies


Merry Christmas! I made a lot of cookie to celebrate Christmas that I will be posting over the next few days. This is one of my favorites and one that I haven’t made in many years. The recipe came from Sunset Magazine, who did an article talking about miniature cookies and how they would be great for the holidays. This is one that they featured. I don’t make mine all that small; I do use a 2-inch cookie cutter. You can use a large or small cutter and any shape that you’d like.

The original article where I found this recipe talked about categories of cookies: chocolate
cookies, spiced cookies, fruity cookies and nutty cookies. Certainly there are more categories that you could come up with, but when I am planning on making a lot of cookies for an occasion, I will often think about which cookies I am making and which categories I’ve got covered.

I couldn’t find the original magazine article that has the recipe, but I looked online and was able to find it. The only difference is that I made the dough in the food processor this time, which made making the dough quite easy. I remember always struggling to incorporate all of the flour,
and I didn’t have to worry about it this time. I also rolled out the dough between sheets of waxes paper before the dough was chilled, which was different but actually worked well. I hate rolling out super-hard and/or sticky dough, so this way I didn’t have to bother. I love these cookies and I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do!


2 cups flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, at room temperature, cut into slices
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
6 ounces white chocolate chips
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening

In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, ginger, pepper, baking soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Process to blend. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, mix vanilla, lemon peel, and 1 tablespoon water. Add to food processor; process until dough forms a ball.

Divide dough in half. Roll out each portion between sheets of waxed paper to about 1/4 inch thick. Stack and chill rolled dough until firm, about 45 minutes (or longer).

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut out cookies with a 2-inch round cutter. Place 1/2 inch apart on silicone mat-lined baking sheets. Bake until pale brown, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.

Melt white chocolate and shortening in the microwave or in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir occasionally until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Dip each cookie halfway into white chocolate mixture, then place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Drizzle undipped half of cookie with more white chocolate mixture.

Recipe from Sunset Magazine

No comments: