Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Honey-Wheat Cookies



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was picked by Michelle of Flourchild. She decided on Honey-Wheat Cookies, which are a honey lemon cookie with wheat germ. Visit her blog for the complete recipe. I didn’t have wheat germ at home, so I had to pick that up at the store. I went to the local co-op since I figured they would have the best selection. I’ve also been reading a book about food fraud, and it’s very scary all the adulterated food out there! I can trust the co-op for local and organic ingredients.

These are quite simple cookies, and I was worried that they might be a bit plain. Their primary flavoring is lemon zest, but once they are baked it’s the honey that is the key flavor. I had a couple of different types of honey at home, and I ended up using blackberry honey. It doesn’t taste like blackberries, but it did have a strong honey flavor. That shines through in these cookies and I loved that! I love honey so I’m always happy to make something where the honey flavor shines through.

These cookies were surprising; they do look a little plain but they are so good! They have a subtle crunch since they are rolled in wheat germ before baking. They aren’t too sweet, but just sweet enough.My husband asked if they have a glaze or anything, and I suppose if you wanted to add some extra sweetness you could add a lemon glaze. I would certainly make these again, and I’d like to try some of the variations, maybe try a batch with lemon glaze and maybe try different citrus. I do have a bag of wheat germ to use up!

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 81

9 comments:

Paula said...

Your husband and I think alike about these cookies. I liked them plain but they were much better with icing.

Cindy said...

I couldn't decide if I really liked these, I must--I ate so many of them. They were kind of addictive.

Susan said...

Your cookies look great. I liked them just as they were. The hubby wasn't impressed. :)

Flourchild said...

Im glad you enjoyed the cookies, they look great! Thank you for baking along with me this week.

Megan said...

I absolutely loved these cookies, they were such a pleasant surprise. I used orange instead of lemon and they were just outstanding.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I thought the change was good from chocolate and I love chocolate.

Making a plainer but satisfying cookie was great and yours look great.

Amanda said...

I'm glad you liked them! I thought they were ok, but probably won't make them again.

Pamela said...

I used extra lemon zest, but I think a lemon glaze would be lovely. Nice picture!

Kayte said...

We loved these...they were perfect with a cup of tea, the honey and lemon already included in them! Yours look particularly beautiful in shape and color.