Friday, February 4, 2011

Coconut Rum Raisin Cookies



It’s been a busy couple of weeks at work, and I’m certainly looking forward to this weekend. I’ve been writing a daily schedule for what I must get done every day and even at the end of my long day I still have a lot to do! I think there’s hope in sight, next week should be better. I’m not usually one to drink in the evening, but I have to admit that sometimes it really helps!

This week’s cookie was tough for me to choose. I think I picked about 10 different recipes and I didn’t have this ingredient or that, or I didn’t feel like making a particular type of cookie. My husband, always the eager volunteer since he gets to sample to goods, said he would find something. He came across this recipe and instant messaged it to me. (We’re quite the romantic couple, huh?) They were called raisinet cookies which was great since I had Raisinets in the cupboard. But this was a combination of raisins and chocolate chips, with toasted coconut and rum thrown in for good measure. Boozy cookies? Great! It’s been a long week.

The recipe said that it made about 3 dozen, so I made a batch and a half. Well, it made more than expected so now I have a ton of cookies! Once cooled, they become a little bit like a lacy cookie: not much batter, but full of chunks of stuff. When you get a bite with a rum-soaked raisin, it’s really worth it! I used coconut rum, which added even more flavor. They’re very homey but I like that in cookies. They’re thin and crispy and go down easy!

3/4 cup raisins
About ½ cup rum
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon rum
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 cup toasted coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a small bowl, place the raisins. Cover with rum and allow to soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream together the butter and the brown sugar. Add the egg, vanilla, rum, and coconut extract, stir to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the oatmeal, flour, coconut, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the oat mixture to the creamed mixture. Stir to combine and then add the chocolate chips and the drained raisins.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. They spread a bit, so don’t place them too close together. Bake for 10 minutes. Cookies will look slightly undercooked, but will set once they cool. Cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Oatmeal Cookie Blog

No comments: