Monday, June 13, 2011

Brownie Cookies



My husband and I went away for the weekend recently and the place we stayed had this little wine bar in the lobby. We’d discovered some good wines there before so we made sure that we paid them another visit. We had some wine again and to go with it my husband ordered a plate of cookies. Sure, you’re thinking that it should be milk and cookies not wine and cookies, but trust me, cookies go just fine with wine.

One of the cookies that they brought was a very chocolaty cookie that was flaky around the edges and very dense. I figured that they contained lots of chocolate and very little flour, so when I came home I searched for a similar recipe. I searched and came across a lot of brownie cookies that seemed on the right track. I was deciding between a couple recipes but I noticed that most were based on the cookie posted by Brown Eyed Baker, so I went with that one.

These use a lot of chocolate and not a lot of flour, but that’s what makes them so good. The dough for these is very thin, so I decided to refrigerate the dough to firm it up. Well, I got distracted and I never ended up getting back to making the cookies! The dough was really solid after 24 hours of refrigeration, but I left it at room temperature for a while and it finally became workable again. Mine didn’t spread at all, but I think they would have been thinner had I not refrigerated the dough. These cookies are really good: chocolaty but not too sweet. Perfect with a glass of milk (or wine!).

16 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
4 eggs
1-1/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Put the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler and set it over barely simmering water. Stir occasionally, until completely melted and smooth.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and sugar. Set aside. In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients, folding them into the batter with a spatula. Once all of the flour is incorporated, stir in the chocolate chips. If desired, refrigerate dough for 30 minutes or longer.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Scoop tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are firm on the outside, do not over bake! Allow to cool on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker

No comments: