Friday, September 2, 2011

Oreo Pudding Cookies



One of the blogs I follow recently had a guest post from her husband. In that post, the husband wrote about a normal conversation that they have in planning dinner. She asks what he wants, and he complains that she always wants to try something new since that is more interesting for the blog. I read that blog entry to my husband and he was laughing so hard. I will often ask my husband what cookies I should bake. He always wants chocolate chip cookies and I always want something more unusual.

I came across this recipe and I felt like I had found the best of both worlds: very similar to chocolate chip cookies (much to my husband’s liking) yet something more unusual. Cookies and cream sounding like a great combination to stick in a chocolate chip cookie. I’ve seen a number of different cookies and cream combinations floating around the blog world, but this is the first one that really hit the mark for me. They use Oreo instant pudding mix, which I didn’t even know existed. I’ve seen pudding mixes used in cakes and cookies before and I know that it makes for a nice, soft cookie. It also uses white chocolate bars with chocolate cookie bits. (Hopefully those won’t disappear from the stores. I used to make a cookie with white chocolate bars with almonds, but they don’t make them anymore!)

I really liked these, as the flavors were really interesting. I used a mix of milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Sometimes you’d get the sweet bite of the milk chocolate and other times the slightly bitter semi-sweet chocolate. The pudding mix adds a bit of creaminess to the dough. These cookies are soft but the firm up after sitting overnight. They don’t brown while baking so don’t expect that to happen. If you brown these, they will be horribly dry and over baked. My husband gave these a thumbs up, so if you are looking for an interesting variation of a chocolate chip cookie, give these a try.

Oreo Pudding Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 4.2 ounce package instant Oreo Pudding mix
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 2.6 ounce Hershey's Cookies N Cream Candy Bars, chopped
2 cups milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a larger mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat in pudding mix until blended. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour mixture and mix to combine. Stir in cookies n' cream pieces and chocolate chips. Batter will be thick.

Roll dough into 1-1/2” balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8-11 minutes, until set. You do not want to over bake these; they will not be golden brown. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from The Girl who Ate Everything

No comments: