Friday, March 23, 2012

Eggs Baked in a Bread Bowl



For this round of the recipe swap, we are doing a secret recipe style swap, which means that I get to pick any recipe from the blog I receive in the swap. I got to pick something from the blog: Cooking with Crouton by Kelsey. I knew right away from the kitty pictures that I saw on the blog that this would be a good blog for me! I love kitties. My kitties don’t pay too much attention to me while I am in the kitchen, but here’s a picture of our kitty Jazzy anyway.




I didn’t want to pick a cookie recipe or some other sort of dessert. I looked through all the recipes as soon as I saw this one I was very interested in trying it: Eggs Baked in a Bread Bowl. So I ended up picking a baking recipe, but very different in style than what I typically bake. The recipe looked fairly easy and the picture looked so good, so I knew I had made a good choice.

Initially I thought about making my own rolls, but I didn’t do that. I bought small ciabatta rolls which were great for this recipe. I think it would work with any roll that had a good outer structure. Since the hollowed out roll is the baking vessel, you want it to have some fortitude. I used Cheddar cheese and parsley as that is what I had. You could mix this up with different cheeses, seasonings, and I would like to try this with some diced ham. I made these on a weeknight after a long day at work and they were just perfect. I baked mine for just under 20 minutes and the yolks were a tiny bit runny, which I like. I loved this recipe and I can’t wait to make it again. Thanks for the recipe Kelsey!

6 small rolls
6 eggs
6 teaspoons cream
Salt and pepper
6 teaspoons finely shredded Cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Have a baking sheet on hand.

Cut off the tops of the dinner rolls and scoop out the bread in the center. Crack an egg into each hollowed-out bowl, and drizzle a teaspoon of cream on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cheese and parsley.

Arrange the rolls on a baking sheet (leave the tops off for now). Cook for about 20 minutes, more or less depending on how runny you like your yolks. Add the tops to toast in the last 2 minutes.

Recipe from Cooking with Crouton

1 comment:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Wow!! This looks incredible. What an awesome idea.

Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!