Friday, March 2, 2012

Gooey Butter Cookies



If you watch the Food Network like I do, you’ll find that you are introduced to local favorites that you’ve never heard of. I don’t think I’d ever heard of gooey butter cake until I watched a show comparing the best gooey butter cakes. They looked pretty good and somewhere in the back of my mind I filed it away as an idea to try someday. I came across this recipe and it looked really good, and then read how it tasted like the top of a gooey butter cake and I knew it was the one to make.

This is a deceptively simple recipe, with mainly butter and cream cheese. I didn’t have a vanilla bean to use, but I still think they turned out ok. It’s not like I am connoisseur so I think it was just fine. I let my dough chill for a couple of hours and I think this made it a lot easier to work with. Even with the chilling it is quite sticky.

The quantities I’ve given you here is a half recipe, which still makes more than 3 dozen cookies. I was so glad I followed my gut and didn’t make a full batch; that would have been way too many. I think that the cream cheese flavor shines through in these cookies, but I tasted mine just after they came out of the oven. It will be interesting to see how the flavors change after they have cooled and are chilled. These are really tasty and I’m glad I gave them a try.

2-1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
8 ounces cream cheese
½ cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar

In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixer bowl, cream the cream cheese, butter, and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, stirring until combined. On low, stir in the flour mixture. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets, a couple of inches apart. Bake until they spread and puff slightly, about 12-16 minutes. They will be soft in the center; do not allow to brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.

Recipe from Lottie and Doof

No comments: