Friday, April 6, 2012

Butterscotch M&M Bars



Wow, I didn’t mean to post two M&M cookies in one week, but I guess that’s just how it was this week. I know we are just two days away from Easter and I still and trying to figure out what I want to bake for the holiday. This was an easier choice. I say this recipe come up on Pinterest and thought it looked good. My husband also pointed it out so I figured that would be good to make.

These bars use white chocolate M&Ms, which are one of the special holiday flavors for Easter. I had seen those at the store and thought they sounded interesting. I’ve had white chocolate that I’ve liked that have just the perfect balance of sweetness. I’ve had overly sweet white chocolate and I’ve had basically tasteless white chocolate. The expensive stuff was the tasteless stuff, go figure. I picked up two bags at the store and went to work on the cookies. For the record, the M&Ms are good on their own, sweet with the crunchy candy shell, so pretty good!

I made two batches of these cookies and they turned out quite differently. This first batch was nice golden brown and the M&Ms were distributed evenly. The second batch was darker and all the M&Ms sank to the bottom. I can’t quite figure out the difference, although maybe I had too much butterscotch in the second batch. I really like the butterscotch flavor in these bars, which paired nicely with the white chocolate chips. You could use other types of M&Ms in these and still have an excellent bar cookie.

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup butterscotch chips, melted
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup White Chocolate M&M’s

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8” × 8” pan with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, blend the melted butter and brown sugar together until smooth. Stir in the egg and vanilla. Mix in the melted butterscotch chips. Add flour and salt, mix until combined. Stir in the M&M’s by hand. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.

Recipe from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

No comments: