Monday, April 16, 2012

Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies



Last week, we hosted a tea at my library as part of the celebration of National Library Week. I was so excited that I got to make the cookies. I could bake a lot plus I really enjoy planning a larger baking event like this. I want to make sure that I have lots of different flavors for all of the people at the tea. For me, most cookies fall into just a couple of categories and then I plan from there. This time I wanted to make something with chocolate, something with fruit or citrus, and something with nuts. These are the chocolate cookies I made.

I also wanted to make something like chocolate chip cookies because once I baked for an event at work and someone said, “What, no chocolate chip cookies?” Well, these are chocolate chip cookies but they are mini, and they are coconut so they were different. And they were a big hit at the tea.

These use coconut oil instead of butter, which is so interesting. It also got all over my hands when I was measuring it and my hands were so soft! I was chatting to another faculty member at the tea and she said coconut oil was often used in India as a hair conditioner (you rinse it out afterward). The coconut oil mixed with the coconut extract and the shredded coconut gives these cookies great flavor, but I think people really liked that they were teeny, tiny little cookies that were super cute. You could make these regular sized too, but they wouldn’t be quite as cute. I’m not sure if cuteness makes things taste better, but it certainly doesn’t hurt!

3/4 cup coconut oil (solid), melted and slightly cooled
1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cups shredded coconut
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil and sugars. Allow to sit for 15 minutes. Whisk in egg, egg yolk and extracts, mixing until completely smooth. Add in 1/2 cup flour, baking soda and salt, stirring to combine. Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to bring it together. Finally, fold in coconut and chocolate chips.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until just set. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from How Sweet It Is

No comments: