Friday, May 18, 2012

Chocolate Drizzled Hazelnut Refrigerator Cookies



There are times when I have all the time in the world to bake, and I make things like this week’s Pecan Sticky Buns. Other times, I’m rushing to get time to bake anything. It seems like the last two weeks at work have been crazy and there’s just not enough time to get things done. And you still have to have fun, so those fun activities are still on the calendar. So that means that at times I need to find the quick thing to bake, and that usually means refrigerator cookies.

I love refrigerator cookies. Take 10-15 minutes one evening to prepare the dough and then the cookies are ready to go. I knew I would only have about an hour to bake this week so I made this dough earlier in the week and just refrigerated it. They take just a couple of minutes to bake and not long at all to melt the chocolate and drizzle it on top. Refrigerator cookies can have the flaw of being a little plain looking, so chocolate drizzle (or dunking in chocolate) always takes care of that!

These originally called for macadamia nuts, but I am out of those and I really love hazelnuts. I like the sweetness of the hazelnuts paired with the brown sugar is a great combination. They are super crispy and crunchy, which is sometimes hard to get in a home-baked cookie. You top these with milk chocolate (and I had to use a Hershey bar as that’s all I could find at the store I was visiting) but I think these would be equally good with a dark chocolate drizzle.
 Chocolate Drizzled Hazelnut Refrigerator Cookies

½ cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 ¾ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped nuts

Melted milk chocolate

In a large mixer bowl, mix the butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla thoroughly.  In a small bowl combine the flour, soda, and salt.  Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture.  Stir in the nuts.  Divide the dough in two halves. Form each half into a roll, about 2-1/2” in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (several hours or several days).
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
Cut the logs into 1/8” slices. Place on the prepared baking sheets.  Bake 6-8 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Remove from baking sheet and let cool on a wire rack.
Once cookies are cool, drizzle the cookies in the melted chocolate until half is covered in chocolate.  Shake excess chocolate from cookie and place on waxed paper to set.
Recipe from Food Pusher

2 comments:

Gracie ~ Food Fascination said...

Yum! I didn't have time to make the pecan sticky buns either and I am still a little scared of yeast. Your cookies look so good!!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow!! Thanks a lot! I am really pleased to see your blog sharing such a nice and informative content. I am actually looking for something exactly like this! Thanks again
Refrigrator