Thursday, July 26, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins


Ah, chocolate and peanut butter, it’s such a winning combination even when it is in a little bit of an unexpected form. I knew I wanted to put something together quickly, and I got the idea of peanut butter muffins. Years ago I had made peanut butter loaf bread, which was really unusual. Peanut butter muffins, maybe with some chocolate, sounded great so I did a quick search and came up with this recipe.

I like muffin recipes because you mix the dry, mix the wet ingredients, stir them together and you’re done. I will warn you to use a big enough bowl for the butter/peanut butter/brown sugar mixture, because it takes a little effort to get everything whisked together fully. My bowl was a little small and I ended up with a bit of a mess on the counter. Not too bad though! 

The recipe said to fill the muffin cups all the way full, which I didn’t usually do with muffins but I did this time and I got big, beautiful muffins. The chocolate chips and peanut butter chips add a nice sweetness to these muffins. I think I could have added a bit more salt, but otherwise they were great. They were especially good warm from the oven.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, peanut butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla until smooth.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until combined; fold in the chocolate and peanut butter chips.  

Fill each prepared muffin cup to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top of the muffin springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove the muffins from the pan to cool on a wire rack.  

Recipe from The Galley Gourmet

1 comment:

MiniMoose2 said...

I had the pleasure of trying these while they were still warm, and it was a treat, indeed. I agree, though, that a little more salt would be nice. . .