Monday, September 10, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake



It’s been fairly hectic the past few weeks and I’ve really had so little time to bake that I have been looking for some classics that I can make when I have a few spare minutes. I came across this recipe on Prevention RD’s blog and it looked great. Her version is a little healthier than what I’ve made here, but I followed her recipe for the most part. I did use a combination of semi-sweet and white chocolate chips and used regular flour. (When writing up the recipe I realized I swapped the quantities for the brown sugar and granulated sugar, but it seemed to work out ok.)

My husband loves chocolate chip cookies and I figured that this cake would be a way to make him something very similar to chocolate chip cookies. After making this, I’m not exactly sure what makes this a cake rather than just a giant chocolate chip cookie baked in a cake pan. I guess it’s all in how you serve it. I halved the original recipe and baked it in a round pan, and it makes for quite a nice dessert when sliced into wedges and topped with some whipped cream.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

½ cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
¾ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
¾ cup chocolate chips
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add the egg, beating well and then stir in the vanilla.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.

Spread the dough in the prepared pan, as evenly as possible. Bake until the edges are golden and the cookie is set but the center is still slightly soft, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan to cool completely.

To serve, sift powdered sugar over the top and cut into wedges

Recipe from Prevention RD

1 comment:

Nicole, RD said...

It looks great!! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)