Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ginger Toffee Molasses Cookies



I love when fall rolls around and I can bake molasses and spices and people don’t think I am being odd for baking unseasonable treats. I have had this recipe pinned for the longest time and I was pretty sure that I had already made them, but I searched my blog and I hadn’t made them yet. It’s pretty bad that I can’t always remember what recipes I have made, but I’ve got over 225 cookie recipes posted. It’s hard to keep track.

Ginger cookies are favorites of mine, second only to snickerdoodles. I make a triple ginger cookie that I roll in orange sanding sugar that I have made for years. These have two types of ginger (ground and candied ginger) plus other spices. The molasses adds a lot and makes for a chewy cookie. The combination of butter and shortening also makes them chewy. 

This recipe makes a lot of cookies, little perfect round chewy cookies! I think it made over 5 dozen, so you could certainly cut this in half if you wanted a smaller batch. The original recipe had you slam down the cookie sheet after taking them out of the oven, to help them flatten, but the cookies that I didn’t do that to turned out the same. They naturally flatten when the cool so no need for the extra step. These cookies have the best flavor and are nice and chewy. They’ll stay fresh for some time, but they didn’t last that long in all honesty.

Ginger Toffee Molasses Cookies
 
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup shortening
1 ½ cups sugar
3/4 cup molasses
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cloves
3 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 cup toffee bits
Sugar or sanding sugar

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light. Add the molasses, eggs, and vanilla and stir until combined. In a separate bowl combine the flour, spices, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and stir just until combined. By hand, stir in the crystallized ginger and toffee bits.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and then roll balls in the sugar or sanding sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until cracked and golden. Allow to cool for 5-6 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: