Friday, June 14, 2013

Oatmeal Chocolate Cherry Sandwiches with Marshmallow Filling



I’ve been on a bit of a frosting kick lately, and one way to honor that is to make sandwich cookies for the Friday cookie! I have (had) this single pack of graham cracker in the cupboard and I really wanted some frosting for those. It’s hard to beat graham crackers with frosting! I had some frosting left over from another recipe, but I think it had been in the refrigerator a little too long so I didn’t risk it. Just make more frosting!

I’ve had these cookies bookmarked since the first day I saw them. They looked so good. Since I was taking them to work, I decided to opt out of the chocolate ganache topping, as it seemed like a little too much. I mean really, the cookies have chocolate, dried cherries, and nuts. Then you add marshmallow fluffy filling. I really think that is quite enough decadence for one cookie.

I guess I make my sandwich cookies smaller, as I got way more than 20 sandwich cookies from this recipe. I think I made about three dozen. The cookies are ok by themselves, but they are infinitely better with the sweet marshmallow filling. I had extra frosting, even making the three dozen sandwiches, so I was able to fulfill my graham cracker/frosting want. These cookies are really fun and they were a big hit at work.

Oatmeal Chocolate Cherry Sandwiches with Marshmallow Filling
1¼ cups flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2¼ cups oats
1 cup dried cherries, chopped
1 cup nuts, chopped
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
¾ cup butter, room temperature
1½ cups packed brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoon vanilla

¾ cup butter, room temperature
1½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
6 ounces marshmallow fluff
1 tablespoon vanilla
Milk, if needed

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the oats, cherries, nuts, and chocolate. 

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine.  With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture, beating just until incorporated.  Stir in the oat/cherry mixture.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 16-18 minutes. If you bake two baking sheets at a time, rotate the sheet half way through the cooking time. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before pairing together with filling.

Make the filling: beat the butter in a large mixer bowl until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and stir until combined.  Beat in the marshmallow fluff and vanilla until light and fluffy.  If the filling is too stiff, add milk as needed.

Make the sandwiches: match the cookies in pairs by size. Put the filling in a piping bag with a large plain or fluted tip. Pipe filling on one of the paired cookies and top with the other cookie.   

Recipe from Annie’s Eats

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

These look great! Patrick's a fan of cherries so I hope to make these soon!