Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Baked Yogurt Tart



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is the Baked Yogurt Tart. There isn’t a host for this week’s recipe, but do a quick search on the web and you can find the recipe in its entirety. When I was looking on the web, I noticed that there are quite a few variations of this tart, using different fruit and nuts. It is a recipe that lends itself to lots of different flavors, which I really like. Make sure that you check out all of the variations that the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers made by checking out the Tuesdays with Dorie site.

This tart is kind of like a thin cheesecake, but instead of using cream cheese you use plain yogurt. The recipe called for nonfat yogurt, but I used low fat instead. I figured that adding a little more fat to a baked good would probably be ok! I topped mine with cherries, since I had some of those left from my recent trip to the farmer’s markets. I used almonds as they pair wonderfully with cherries.

You were instructed to bake this tart in a cake or spring form pan, which I found to be unusual. I think it would have been fine in a tart pan and easier to assemble! I was unable to get my tart out of the pan and had to cut pieces while it was in the pan. I really liked the cherry/almond combination, but my cherries were big and next time I would cut them in half. This tastes a bit like a cheesecake, but not nearly as rich or heavy. I liked this and I would be game for trying it again with different fruit and nut combinations. 

Recipe from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan, page 378

3 comments:

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

I like the look of the cherries in your tart. It makes me think of a clafoutis dessert.
I would make this again too.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

I used cherries in mine, too...and a bit of almond extract. this is a make again for me, as well, with a little fiddling.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Your cherry tart looks great. I used blueberries. I think this may have more flavor if the fruit is stirred into the filling rather than being placed just on top.