Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Custard Cupcakes




 I wanted to make something sweet to have with dinner and I was browsing through the latest issue of BBC Easy Cook. I came across these cupcakes and they looked like a lot of fun. My husband is a big fan of custard, and these contain a healthy dose of custard powder. Also, it just makes 12 cupcakes, which is better when I am not taking them elsewhere. According to the article, this is a recipe for “even young bakers.” Ok, so it’s a super simple recipe but sometimes you just want something easy to make.



I’ve translated the measurements here to ones more standard to the American kitchen. The volume measurements are approximations. I didn’t do a volume measurement for the custard powder, because I couldn’t find an equivalent online and the package just gives measurements in grams. I really prefer to use weight measurements when baking when possible, as it is so much more precise. I also learned some new British vernacular: the sprinkles that I used here, which are the same as the magazine’s photo, are called “hundreds and thousands.” I guess if you count all the little sprinkles you will have hundreds and thousands of sprinkles.

These cakes aren’t as light and fluffy as a typical American cupcake, nor are they as sweet. I would have liked to been able to taste the custard a little more, and I’m surprised that flavor wasn’t stronger. I liked the simple icing with the sprinkles, and I think that would work with any cupcake for a children’s party. I photographed these cupcakes with cupcake liners that I received for Christmas from my husband’s British family. Aren’t they cute?

Custard Cupcakes
3.5 ounces custard powder
15 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 eggs
¼ cup milk
5 ounces (2/3 cup) sugar
3.5 ounces (13 tablespoons) self-rising flour*

5.3 ounces (1-1/4 cup) powdered sugar
3 tablespoons water
Decorative sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large mixer bowl combine the custard powder, butter, eggs and milk. Beat on medium until combined. Add the sugar and mix until incorporated. Add the self-rising flour and stir on low until just combined. The batter may seem a bit lumpy. Divide the batter between the 12 paper liners.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for several minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the icing: in a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and water. Stir until smooth, and the consistency of a thick paste. Spoon the icing over the cooled cupcakes and then sprinkle with decorative sprinkles.

Recipe from BBC Easy Cook

*I make my own self-rising flour by combining 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt 

No comments: