Friday, September 6, 2013

Granola Cookie Wedges




I work at a library, so I have to say that I am fairly reluctant to buy magazines to get recipes. Sure, my husband and I subscribe to electronic versions of a couple of British cooking magazines, but other than that, if I can’t find it in a library or online, then I am out of luck. The problem is that I can’t always keep track of recipes that I find in magazines, because I have to return the magazines to the library. On a good day, I take photos of the recipe on my phone. Not the easiest to read, but I can at least find what I am looking for.

I spotted this recipe in one of the issues of Cooking Light that our library subscribes to. For the things that I bake, I don’t usually worry about fat and calories, but it’s good to think about these things. I spotted this recipe and it had so many good ingredients that I knew it would be great. And healthy (healthier?) too!

This makes a super small batch, just eight cookie wedges. I guess it’s healthier if you eat fewer cookies. The dough is quick to mix, which is good because I accidently dropped the dough on the floor right before I put it in the oven, so I had to start over again. The cookie seems soft, but I think that’s often the case when you have less fat in a recipe. I found the flavor of these to be excellent, and liked the combination of oats, toasted pecans and chocolate. If you need a healthier cookie to serve up in a matter of minutes, this is for you.

Granola Cookie Wedges
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 egg white
2-1/4 ounces (about ½ cup) flour
½ cup oats
¼ cup chopped, toasted pecans
2 tablespoons chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9” glass pie pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, vegetable oil, butter, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and egg. Stir until well combined. Add the flour, oats, pecans, and chocolate chips. Stir until just combined.

Spread the dough in the prepared pan, spreading all the way to the edges of the pie plate.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, until set. Cool on a wire rack before cutting into wedges.

Recipe from Cooking Light

No comments: