Friday, October 4, 2013

Maple Toffee Cookies



I had planned to make a different type of cookies this week, but sometimes at the last minute I change my mind. We’ve had really fall-like weather here, so my thoughts turned to fall flavors. I did some searching online and at first my search wasn’t very productive as all I found were decorated sugar cookies. I thought about making something with maple and I came across these cookies. While they don’t contain maple syrup, which I was hoping for, these contain great flavors.

I love toffee, and I thought it would pair nicely with maple. These cookies contain toffee chips and also chocolate bars with toffee bits. The original recipe raved about Green & Black’s version of a chocolate toffee bar. I went to the store knowing that they carry some of their products, but they didn’t have the chocolate toffee bar. They had a different toffee chocolate bar made by Moonstruck chocolates of Portland, Oregon. Nice to use local products!

These cookies contain a lot of sugar, plus the toffee bits become sugar too, when baked. These cookies are quite flat, because of all that sugar. You have to be careful not to bake them too long, or the edges get over baked. (The over baked edges do get a lovely caramel-y flavor, so it’s not all bad.) These might not look fancy, but the flavors are extraordinary.


Maple Toffee Cookies
¾ cup butter, room temperature
1-3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon maple extract
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2-1/2 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 chocolate with toffee bars (3 to 3-1/2 ounces each), chopped
½ cup toffee chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl cream the butter, brown sugar, and salt until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Stir in the maple extract.

In a medium bowl combine the cornstarch, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in the chopped chocolate toffee bars and the toffee chips.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set. Allow to cool on the cookie sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from Shugary Sweets