Friday, August 22, 2014

Red Velvet Oreo Fudge Bars



I know I made chocolaty bar cookies last week, but I came across this recipe and I knew this was the next one to make! I had some sweetened condensed milk left over in the refrigerator and this used just the right amount. I don’t often make cookies that use a cake mix as the base, but every once in a while it’s a nice convenience. Plus, I would have to buy Oreos and Oreos are one cookie that you just can’t replicate at home. (Yes, I know there are recipes out there, but they aren’t the same!)

The only struggle with making these is that you have to be careful that the red coloring in the dough doesn’t stain anything in your kitchen. The dough is sticky, but there is plenty of it so it isn’t too hard to press in the pan. I rushed drizzling the milk/fudge topping over the bars and as a result one edge of the bar got too wet. Even after baking, that edge of the bar was very gooey. Just be careful with that! The red velvet looks great, but it doesn’t taste all that different than chocolate brownies topped with Oreos. I liked these and I enjoyed the convenience of making these bars.

Red Velvet Oreo Fudge Bars

1 Red Velvet cake mix
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
18 Oreo cookies, broken in chunks
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 dark chocolate hot fudge topping
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the cake mix, butter, egg, and vanilla until a soft dough forms. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the Oreo pieces on top of the dough.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and hot fudge until it is completely mixed. Evenly drizzle the milk/fudge mixture over the dough. Sprinkle the mini chips over the bars.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until set. Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting into bars.

Lift the bars from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut into bars.

Recipe from Inside BruCrew Life

No comments: