Friday, October 23, 2015

Cinnamon Chocolate Truffle Cookies



I’ve had a couple of chocolate cinnamon recipes pinned but I can’t say that I usually end up baking those recipes. When looking for this week’s cookies, I thought something nice and chocolaty would be perfect. I saw these on my Pinterest links and thought they would be perfect. Cinnamon is great for fall baking, and combined with lots of dark chocolate I knew they would be good.

This was also a great recipe for me this week because I knew I would be getting home late from work on the day I normally bake. The dough for these cookies need to chill, and I opted for the longer chilling time. I made the dough one day and then baked them up the next. The original recipe says that you can chill this dough for as little as 30 minutes, but my dough was super soft and was still soft when I checked on it a little later. Chilling overnight worked great.

I made one and a half times the recipe listed here, as I was worried the batch would be too small. I shouldn’t have worried about that! I guess the cookies from the original recipe were really big! Oh well, too many cookies is not that much of a crisis. I baked my cookies for 12 minutes, and they were still soft when I took them out of the oven. When cooled, they had a lovely fudgy consistency. I asked my husband if I should bake them longer, but he said they were perfect as is. 

Cinnamon Chocolate Truffle Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chunks

In the top of a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate. Heat until smooth; set aside for 5 minutes.

Transfer the chocolate mixture to a larger mixer bowl. Add the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and eggs to the bowl and beat on medium until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chunks with a spatula.

Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and (if the dough is too hard to shape) allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Shape the dough into 1-1/4” mounds and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the dough looks dry. The cookies will stiff be soft, but will set as they cool. You do not want to over bake the cookies. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

No comments: