Friday, October 12, 2018

Ginger Cookies with Cinnamon Chips





I’ve been sick this week and I couldn’t bake, so this is a Flashback Friday! I posted this recipe all the way back in November 2008.(Wow, my photography wasn't so good then!) Now, I’ve posted over 1000 posts, and I’ll be honest, I don’t remember all of them. But there are some cookies that I remember and remake again and again. This is one of those cookies. The combination of a chewy ginger cookie with cinnamon chips is such a winner.

I usually take my cookies to work, but for whatever reason when I originally made these I took them to my husband’s office. Now we work at the same college, but it isn’t often that his group gets cookies. A couple of folks that he works with mention these cookies from time to time, and even bought the cinnamon chips and passed them along to me. I love using cinnamon chips, and these cookies are my favorite use for them.

Like any type of spice/ginger cookie, if you let the dough chill the flavors will come together. Alternatively, the cookies will mature the day after baking, so fresh out of the oven isn’t the best choice. This makes a fairly large batch of cookies, but that’s ok because they are so good. If you are looking for the perfect fall cookie, this cookie is certainly a strong candidate.

Ginger Cookies with Cinnamon Chips
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup molasses
1 cup Cinnamon Chips
Additional sugar (for rolling dough balls)

In a medium size bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large mixer bowl add the butter and brown sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium to combine. Add the molasses and stir on low until incorporated. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the cinnamon chips.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Form the dough into 1-1/4” and roll in the additional sugar. 

Bake for 9-12 minutes, until edges are set. Do not over bake or the cookies won’t be chewy. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: