Friday, April 12, 2019

Chewy Chocolate Espresso Cookies


I'm traveling this week, so I brought cookies early in the week this time. I suppose that I could have not bothered, but I wanted to bake. It was a very busy weekend, with my husband and I attending two plays, I had ballet rehearsal, I needed to pack for my conference, and had other work tasks to get done before I left for my conference. Needless to say, my weekend was not very relaxing and I think I needed a few more days in there to accomplish everything. But at least I had time to bake!

This recipe is a classic chewy chocolate cookie, with the addition of espresso powder and I bit of molasses. I knew that the espresso wouldn't be a pronounced flavor. Typically when you add espresso or coffee to chocolate, it simply brings out the chocolate flavor. I thought that may also be true of the molasses, as I don't think you can really taste that flavor, but it does add to the richness of the chocolate. This recipe is very simple, but does take a little extra time since you have to chill the dough. The dough is very soft, almost like thick batter, but it firms up with refrigeration. I chilled my dough for an hour and it was fine; longer chilling would likely just help the flavors infuse together more. It's a simple recipe, but the cookies come out picture perfect and delicious!


Chewy Chocolate Espresso Cookies

¾ cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
Additional sugar

In the microwave, melt the butter. Transfer the melted butter to a large mixer bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add the cocoa powder and molasses and stir on low to combine. Add the sugar, egg, vanilla, and espresso powder and beat on medium until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir on low to combine. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, or up to three days. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, roll them in additional sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set. Do not over bake. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
 

Recipe from Bakers Brigade

1 comment:

BlackmooreJoe said...

Great option! Thank you for such original recipes. I promised the teacher to do an essay about changing the tastes of Americans on the example of chocolate cookies. It seemed to me that it would be simple, but there were only ordinary recipes everywhere.In the end, I took the help of professional writers. You can look at their Web Site yourself. This gave an excellent result. It turns out that such services have a lot of employees and can pick up a writer even for such a special topic.