Friday, August 16, 2019

Chocolate Truffle Cookies


My brother-in-law recently sent me this recipe. He had a cookie baking contest at work and this was the cookie that he made. While I agree that he probably should have won, we talked about how this recipe could be the basis for other cookies. I think that’s a great idea, but first I wanted to try the original cookies.

I made a flourless cookie that was somewhat similar to these cookies, but they are much more complex! This recipe calls for a lot of ingredients, including 20 ounces of chocolate and 10 ounces of chocolate chunks, as well as 6 eggs and a lot of sugar. I thought that the cookies needed to refrigerate for some time, but it’s just the opposite. You have to bake these cookies just as soon as the dough comes together.

While this makes a decent amount of dough, since the cookies are so large, it only makes about 3 dozen cookies. I used a 3-tablespoon scoop for these cookies, where I typically only use a 1 tablespoon scoop (or less). Had a made these smaller, I would have been baking forever. The original recipe said to bake for 14 minutes. I baked the first batch for that long, but I think they did better at 13 minutes. These cookies are quite huge, and very chocolatey. I love a good chocolate cookie, and these are no exception. My husband, not the biggest fan of chocolate cookies, said that these were very addictive. He was certainly right!

Chocolate Truffle Cookies
205 grams flour
20 grams cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
567 grams (20 ounces) bittersweet chocolate
140 grams butter, room temperature
460 grams sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla
10 ounces dark chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In the top of a double boiler, or in a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool for 5 minutes before proceeding.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the mixture is pale yellow. Add the melted chocolate and the vanilla and mix to combine. Remove from the mixer and fold in the flour mixture. When the dough has almost come together, add the chocolate chunks and fold to combine.

Using a 3-tablespoon scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, placing 8 cookies per sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet half-way through the baking time, until set. Allow the cookies to set on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook

No comments: