Friday, September 27, 2019

Turtle Cookies


This year, our staffing at work is a little different. You would think that this doesn’t impact me, as I am there every day anyway, but it does. This year, a couple of folks work on Friday who hadn’t previously. I’ve heard from those folks that they are so excited to work Fridays since there will be cookies. While I am glad that my cookies are so well received, hopefully they enjoy coming to work as well.

I found this recipe online, in an article that talks about the best “grandma” recipes from each state. Now, I don’t know what to think about that, but the article has a couple of recipes that look great. This is the recipe from Arkansas. While I have made a couple of different turtle recipes, I’ve never visited Arkansas and I can’t attest to the veracity that these are emblematic of Arkansas.

The dough for these cookies starts off very soft, but as the melted chips cool, the dough gets much firmer. The original recipe says that these cookies only bake about 7-8 minutes, which I thought was too little time. I do have to say that it’s difficult to tell when these cookies are done, but I think the chocolate looks dry when they are baked. As they don’t change much while baking, after the first batch I decided to flatten the cookies slightly before baking, and I was happy I made that decision. These cookies are so chocolatey, and on the gooey side, but that just seems appropriate for chocolate cookies.

Turtle Cookies
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups chocolate chips
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
1-1/4 cups caramel bits

1 cup chocolate chips
2 teaspoons shortening
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
In a large microwave bowl, combine the butter, chocolate chips, and sweetened condensed milk. Microwave, stirring frequently, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla and stir to combine. Add the flour and mix on low to combine. Add the pecans and caramel bits and stir on low until the dough comes together.
Using a medium scoop, scoop the dough into the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookies slightly with the palm of your hand.
Bake for about 9-10 minutes, until the cookies look dry and are set. Do not overbake. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.
Once the cookies are cool, make the icing. In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring frequently, until melted. Drizzle over the cooled cookies.
Recipe from Taste of Home

No comments: