Friday, October 11, 2019

Peanut Butter Brookies


Gosh, I sure like chocolate and peanut butter. I try to always have those two ingredients on hand, but I have to admit that I was getting low on chocolate chips. I no longer belong to Costco, which is where I would always stock up. I pick up a bag at the store now and then, if I plan to bake something where I need them. Thankfully my awesome friend at work picks up the chips for me when she is at Costco. It’s really a life-saver! I wonder if other folks with no kids go to Costco? We found that we just didn’t buy enough stuff.

I pinned this recipe a couple of weeks ago, and figured that I would make them when the weather got a little colder. Well, I need not wait as our weather this week is especially cold. It’s clear, so the sun does help some. I will be honest and say that I am originally from the Pacific Northwest and I like rain. I know, I know. Don’t shoot me.

These bar cookies have two layers: brownie and peanut butter cookie. The brownie layer is easy and I didn’t even use the mixer. The peanut butter layer takes a little more time, and topping the brownie layer is a careful proposition. It works best to piece the peanut butter dough onto the brownie dough. I also had more peanut butter dough than I needed. I made mine early and then refrigerated them overnight. Being super cold, they weren’t the easiest to cut. Mine were slightly over-baked, but once the edges were cut off, they were fine. These bars are solid and super rich, but with chocolate and peanut butter you wouldn’t want it any other way.

Peanut Butter Brookies
1/2 cup butter
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
3 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup peanut butter chips
 8 ounces mini Reese’s peanut butter cups

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with foil. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

For the brownie layer, in a large bowl melt the butter and chocolate chips in the microwave, microwaving for 1-2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Stir in the sugar, flour, and eggs and stir until smooth. Spread in the prepared pan.

Make the peanut butter layer: in a large mixer bowl beat the vegetable shortening and butter on medium until smooth. Add the milk, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter and mix. Mix on medium until combined. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in the peanut butter chips and peanut butter cups with a spatula.

Carefully top the brownie dough with the peanut butter dough. It worked best to cover one portion at a time.

Bake for 32-36 minutes, until golden along the edges. Cool the bars in the pan and then refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting into bars.

Recipe from Shugary Sweets

No comments: