Friday, June 5, 2020

Crispy Pecan Thins


I have been baking for a long time, but there are some recipes that I made before I had this blog and before I had some of the equipment that I have now. It’s interesting, as I am sometimes reluctant to try those things again. I especially had issue with sticky and delicate cookies, as I didn’t have proper silicone baking mats. I’ve never used parchment, except in rare instances, so that wasn’t really an option. It’s interesting as my British husband uses parchment all of the time.

One of the recipes that I think I made a long time ago was brandy snaps or a similar sort of cookie. You use a tiny bit of dough and you get paper-thin cookies. These aren’t really brandy snaps, as they contain no brandy. I think they are only brandy snaps if you roll the cookies and then fill them with brandy whipped cream.

This is a variation, where you make the cookies and add finely chopped nuts. I used pecans as I had those on hand, while the original recipe called for peanuts. You could use whatever nut you have on hand. I thought that pecans and cinnamon went together well, but you can always adjust the spice you used I faithfully used one teaspoon of dough and it made perfectly round cookies. I rolled a couple of cookies around the handle of a wooden spoon, and that worked but you have to leave them to cool a bit while around the spoon handle. These cookies turned out well, especially with the silicone mats. My only complaint is that these cookies are very oily. I could try with less butter, which seems like would help.

Crispy Pecan Thins  
½ cup butter, cut into squares
I cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup Golden Syrup
¼ cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment.

In a medium saucepan, place the butter, brown sugar, and Golden Syrup. Heat on medium until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.

While the mixture is cooling, finely chop the pecans. Once the mixture is slightly cooled, stir in the chopped pecans, flour, and cinnamon.

Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, 6 cookies per sheet, leaving room for the cookies to spread.

Bake for 5-6 minutes, until bubbling, and no uncooked dough remains in the centers of the cookies.

Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes and then carefully remove with a small metal spatula to a wire rack. If desired, wrap some cookies around the handle of a wooden spoon, making round cookies. Allow the cookies to cool completely.

Recipe from Sprinkles and Sprouts

No comments: