Friday, August 7, 2020

How to Woo a Brit: Custard Creams

I decided for the month of August I would post British cookies/biscuits. We perhaps would be traveling there now if the situation were different, but it is what it is. My husband is British, and we often go to the British store that is just a couple of towns over. I love to look at the candies and chocolates there, but then tend to actually purchase things that we need, like tea. One of the things that I have seen there are Custard Creams, and we may have even purchased them once. When I saw this recipe for a homemade version, I thought that would be fun to bake.

The cookies are very simple, although many people don’t have custard powder on hand. I do, and I use it from time to time. This recipe uses the largest quantity of custard powder I have ever encountered, half a cup, but I have plenty. I always forget that custard powder has a pink tinge to it, and I wondered if that would show up in the cookies. I didn’t, thankfully.

One difference between my cookies and store-bought ones is that mine are quite puffy, which does make them a little difficult to eat. I guess you could flatten them, and that would help. The filling is a small quantity but is just enough to fill the cookies. My batch made 24 cookies, or 12 sandwiches. My husband ate a cookie before they were filled, and I said that they were paired. He took care of that unevenness quickly! They are great with the filling, and for some reason make me think of Christmas cookies rather than custard cookies. Either way, they are fabulous.

How to Woo a Brit: Custard Creams

1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 cup Bird’s custard powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
A few drops of vanilla

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, custard powder, and baking soda; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and powdered sugar on medium for 3 minutes. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture.

Shape the cookies into small rounds and place on the prepared baking sheets. With the tines of a fork, press a cross-hatch design into the top of each cookie.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, just until the bottom of the cookies begin to color. Allow to cool completely before proceeding. 

Make the filling: in a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth.

Mix the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until creamy. Use the filling to sandwich together two cookies of equal size.

Recipe from Christina’s Cucina

No comments: