Friday, September 4, 2020

Butterscotch Toffee Shortbread


I have to say that summer is certainly not my season and I am looking forward to cooler weather this fall. Baking in the summer is difficult, but I have tried to bake when the house isn’t too warm. I’m also glad that so far, we’ve only had a couple of very warm days. September is when the weather usually begins to cool, and even if the day is warm, it will cool off in the evening and overnight. Let’s hope that this is true this year!

Since I have been working remotely, I haven’t been taking cookies to work, and I really miss that. I had the opportunity to visit with my coworker friend so that we could (socially distanced) watch Hamilton via Disney Plus. I figured I would make cookies as I don’t often have that opportunity. I did use rubber gloves and washed my hands a lot, so I never actually touched the dough. I do have to say that it’s challenging trying to be so careful, but I am getting used to it. 

I made a half batch of this recipe and it ended up making about 18 cookies. I didn’t do the best job in cutting the cookies in even slices, so that will certainly impact the baking time. The thicker cookies needed the full 12 minutes to bake, but if yours are thinner I would check them after 10 minutes. I didn’t make any other changes to this recipe, although I was supposed to chop up the butterscotch chips and I didn’t, but that didn’t seem to make any difference. The simplicity of a shortbread cookie really shines here, with the buttery, crumbly shortbread paired with the distinct flavors of butterscotch and toffee.

Butterscotch Toffee Shortbread 
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup toffee bits

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl beat the butter and powdered sugar on medium until creamy. Add the vanilla and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. When almost incorporated, add the butterscotch chips and the toffee bits and stir on low until the mixture comes together.

Divide the dough into tow halves and shape each half into a log, about 3 inches wide. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least an hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats. 

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap. Slice the cookies into 1/3” thick slices and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Mom on Time Out

No comments: