Friday, February 26, 2021

Chocolate Fluffernutter Cookies

Chocolate Fluffernutter Cookies

I browse online for cookie recipes fairly often, which is silly as I pretty much ignore the cookbooks that are sitting on the bookshelf! When I am looking, I look for recipes that are classic, but are somehow new or different. If a recipe uses an ingredient that I already have on hand, that’s even better. That is the case with these cookies. A chocolate marshmallow cookie isn’t super innovative but add peanut butter and that is much more interesting. The recipe also called for a small amount of marshmallow fluff, which I had already.

I will say that for a “fluffernutter” cookie, the original recipe for this cookie contained very little peanut butter. I wanted the chocolate and peanut butter flavors to be clear, so I made some changes. Instead of using 12 ounces of chocolate chips, I used half chocolate, and half peanut butter chips. As this didn’t bring out a pronounced peanut butter flavor, I changed the chocolate glaze with a small amount of peanut butter into a purely peanut butter glaze. I figured that this would be obvious.

I did make a full recipe of these cookies, which in the end was about 30 cookies. I refrigerated the dough overnight and I was rock hard the next day. I left it on the counter for a long time and it was still quite cold when I shaped the cookies. I used up the marshmallow fluff I had, and I am glad as that’s the stickiest, most obstinate substance in the world. I found using a hot, clean spoon worked best. And it was still messy. Some of the marshmallow fluff went wild while baking, but these things happen! With the peanut butter glaze, these cookies are the perfect combination of chocolate, marshmallow, and peanut butter.

Chocolate Fluffernutter Cookies

1/2 cup butter
6 ounces chocolate chips
6 ounces peanut butter chips
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ - 2/3 cup marshmallow fluff

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2-3 tablespoons milk

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Stir frequently and remove from the heat once smooth. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

In a large mixer bowl, mix the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla on medium until combined. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture and stir on low to incorporate. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stirring until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape 1-1/2 tablespoons dough into balls and place on the baking sheet. Flatten the cookies with the palm of your hand. Make an indentation in the top of each cookie and fill the indentation with a small amount of marshmallow fluff, keeping the fluff in the center indentation of the cookie as much as possible.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the cookies are set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, make the glaze: In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, and about 2 tablespoons of milk. Add additional milk if the glaze is too thick to drizzle, or more powdered sugar if it is too thin. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies. 

Recipe from Julie Blanner








No comments: