Friday, April 2, 2021

Ginger Cookie Cups

Ginger Cup Filled Cookie Cups

It seems like the weather is starting to get a little better here in the Seattle area, but I shouldn’t jinx it as we have some sunny days but just a few days ago it was very rainy and windy. I guess I will take whatever I get! It’s spring break and it does seem like the weather is cooperating. I doubt anyone has grand plans, but it is certainly nice to be hopeful for the future.

I came across this cookie cup recipe and if you follow this blog at all, you know that I love cookie cups! The original recipe is for lemon bar cookie cups, which does sound great as I am a big fan of lemon bars. I did want to mix it up a little bit, and I figured that I could use something other than lemon curd as the filling. There were some interesting options online, but in the end, I went to our local British shop and found ginger curd. I knew that would be perfect. Of course, lemon curd would also work and it’s a lot easier to find!

This recipe makes a big batch of small cookies. I halved the recipe and it still made two dozen cookies. I liked the ease of these cookies, where you par-bake them and then make and indentation and fill them. It was very easy to make an indentation when the cookies were warm! The ginger curd I used had bit of fresh ginger in it, so some of the cookie cups were very gingery. They are so perfect with the crisp buttery cookie and then soft ginger filling. They’re small and you can just pop one in your mouth. Perhaps I should have made more than 24 cookies?!

Ginger Cookie Cups
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup ginger curd
Powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray four 1 dozen mini muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar; set aside. In a larger mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and powdered sugar on medium until combined. Add the oil, egg, and vanilla and mix again to incorporate. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.

Place 1 tablespoon of dough into each prepared mini muffin cup.

Bake for 8 minutes.

Remove the cookie cups from the oven and with the end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation in the center of each cookie cup. Fill the indentations with a small amount of ginger curd.

Bake for 4-6 more minutes, until the edges of the cookie cups are lightly browned. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove the cookie cups from the pan and place on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Recipe from Barbara Bakes

No comments: