Friday, July 16, 2021

Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies

Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies

Summer is here, and one thing that usually indicates summer is the fact that I have a partial can of sweetened condensed milk to use up. I use what I need and then diligently put it in a container and refrigerate it. Nearly every time, I end up not using it. It’s hard to find recipes that use a partial can! This time, I was determined to find a recipe and use the leftovers. Most searches showed me how to make sweetened condensed milk, but I did find some Australian recipe that used a lesser amount. In the end, I picked this recipe from the makers of sweetened condensed milk, and made a half recipe.

This recipe is fairly close to chocolate chip cookies, which is why it won in the end. I often hear complaints that I don’t make chocolate chip cookies nearly enough, which is fair I suppose. These cookies are different, as it uses the sweetened condensed milk instead of adding additional sugar, but they are sweet enough! The graham cracker crumbs make these similar to a cookie version of 7 Layer Bars. I also used pecans rather than walnuts, as I prefer pecans and I have them on hand.

These cookies, half a batch, makes about 20 cookies. I was worried that they would spread a lot, but they really did not. Whatever shape they are when they go in the oven, is about the shape that they will end up when baked. I ended up flattening the cookies slightly, but they may not be the flat cookie shape that you know. These cookies, because of the sweetened condensed milk, are soft, so they aren’t crunchy like some chocolate chip cookies. I think the combination of chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans are great in this cookie, and the graham cracker crumbs provide a good balance with the sweetness of the sweetened condensed milk.

Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies

Half of a 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup flaked coconut
1 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk and butter. Beat on medium until smooth. Add the graham cracker crumbs, flour, and baking powder and mix on low, until the mixture almost comes together. Add the coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans and stir to combine.

Scoop onto the prepared baking sheets, using a 1-tablespoon scoop. Flatten the cookies slightly with the palm of your hand.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned and set.

Recipe from Eagle Brand

No comments: