Friday, September 3, 2021

Apple Cinnamon Syrup Cookies

Apple Cinnamon Syrup Cookies

I’m calling it: it’s fall in my book so I will likely be making all of those great fall recipes that I have been collecting. One flavor of fall is maple, which I love but you do have to be careful that it isn’t too sweet. This recipe originally called for maple syrup- the real stuff not what you put on pancakes. I love Mrs. Butterworth’s but that isn’t the right ingredient to use here.

I had maple syrup, but I also had apple cinnamon syrup that my friend gave me. I looked at the ingredients, and they looked usable: apple juice, cinnamon, and (ok) sugar. I decided that I would substitute the apple syrup for the maple syrup and hoped that the cookies wouldn’t get too melted along the edges. That did happen to a couple of cookies, but not too bad.

I didn’t quite have the quantity of syrup I needed, so I ended up making 40% of the original recipe. That wasn’t too hard, and I ended up making 25 cookies. They come together quickly, but with the apple cinnamon syrup they don’t keep the impression of the fork times all that well. I imagine that is because of the added sugar in the syrup, but it may have been the same had I used maple syrup. The cookies are really interesting- if you know they have apple cinnamon syrup, you taste that. If you don’t know, then you are left thinking “What is in these?” Either way, they are very tasty.

Apple Cinnamon Syrup Cookies

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup apple cinnamon (or maple) syrup
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the syrup, egg, and vanilla and mix on medium to incorporate. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Do not over mix.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and roll in sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly with the tines of a fork.

Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies look set and dry. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Craig Gund via All Recipes

No comments: